Thursday, February 16, 2012

Book Review 2. Loving the Little Years.



For my second review, I am going to discuss Loving the Little Years by Rachel Janvocich.  I was very hesitant about reading the book because of the title. I thought it was going to be another book about how we should soak in every moment because the little years go by so quickly. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Seriously, how many people tell you that??? A guy told GT that in the bathroom at a restruant while he was changing Ki's diaper! HA! Really people? I mean I get it. Sometimes though in the midst of the spit up, poop, pee, tiredness, whiny children, etc...I dont feel like loving every minute of it.

The book is a short read with short chapters. I just downloaded the Kindle app on my Iphone and I love it! This was the perfect book to read on it. It was simple to read like I was having a conversation with a friend.

My favorite quote I took from this book and have read many, many times, "It is no abstract thing-the state of your heart is the state of your home. You cannot harbor resentment secretly towards your children and expect their hearts to be submissive and tender. You cannot be greedy with your time and expect them to share their toys. And perhaps most importantly, you cannot resist your opportunities to be corrected by God and expect them to receive correction from you."

Seriously, parenting makes me feel like biggest hypocrite sometimes. How in the world am I expecting my children to do things that I am not even doing. It is the biggest reminder to give them grace as the Lord shows me His grace. And also a huge reminder that I need my heart right with God to keep my heart right with my husband and children.

It is so true the state of our hearts sets a tone in our home. I dont know about you but I want my home to be one of love, security and acceptance. I know the times that I am out of sync with God, my whole house is out of sync and I hate it. 

This book was also a reminder that parenting the right way takes alot of time and attention.I dont know about you but alot of times I get so exhausted. And sometime throw a pity party. Who knew that when I just wanted to have a baby it would be SO hard. So tiring. That they wouldnt stay an infant forever. Then God reminds me that He has commanded me to this job. GT and I are the people who have SOLE responsibility in raising our children. I need to get up and put my big girl panties on and get over it. I need to face it head on like I am going into battle. Because honestly, it is a battle. There is spiritual warfare going on and satan wants my children. And you know what! He aint gettin them!

Whew, I am a little heated today!  Sin just really ticks me off sometimes! 

I want my home and heart to be a place of love. 

If I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.  If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,but have not love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.
I Corinthians 13:2-8

3 comments:

Kristen T said...

I LOVE your honesty. It is encouraging to read and know that someone else feels the way I do and struggles with the same things I do as a Mom. Thanks for sharing your heart and what you are learning.

Carey said...

I got this book from my sister in law about a year ago & I would totally agree with your thoughts! It was so convicting and yet encouraging all at the same time! The passage you quoted was one of my favorites also...I love that as the women of the home we have the responsiblity and privilege of setting the atmosphere. When my heart is right, I can lead my children naturally in that direction. Definitely humbling too!

askinner said...

Thanks for the review Lydia!