Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Feeding and Sleeping

We went to the pediatrician yesterday for Audrie's 2 week appointment. I cant believe she is 2 weeks!!!!!!!!! The appointment went very good, we LOVE the pediatrician. He was SOOOO nice and took time to answer all our questions very thoroughly. Audrie weighed 8 lb 6.5 oz and is now 20 1/4 inches long. We are very glad she is back close to birth weight. She has completely stopped latching on even to the breast shield, so we are giving her an ounce of formula and an ounce of breastmilk each bottle. My milk supply is still low, so I started Reglan this morning, hoping it will build my milk supply and I can keep pumping. It would be wonderful if I could pump enough to just give her breastmilk, but at this point, that aint happenin! I did have a hard time deciding to do this. Actually, Audrie kind of decided, but I had really really wanted to breast feed. 

Audrie still has her days and nights mixed up. She sleeps very soundly allllll day long, then after her 10 pm feeding, she is wide awake. Prior to having her, GT and I read the Baby Wise book on how to get your infant on a feeding/sleeping schedule. We were all gung ho about it until she got here. In the first few days she would only sleep at night if she was laying on me. Which is understandable, she was brand-new out of the womb and she was 4 weeks early, so she expected to be in there a little longer! Well now, sometimes she sleeps in the basinet next to our bed, but most times she is in the bed with me. I NEVER EVER thought I would let her sleep with me before she was here, now I kinda like it. And I know what everyone says, you better not start that or they will always be in the bed with you, blah...blah... but when it is 3:30 am and I am exhausted, I will do anything to make her stop crying and go to sleep which means putting her in the bed with me. SO today, I had decided, I was going to start Baby Wise and I would put her in her crib for a nap. Well,,,it didnt work. When she started crying, I could handle it for about 3 minutes. Then I took her out and she was fine. I just dont know what to do. I guess I keep telling myself since she was premature it is ok and when she is closer to her due date then I should really start her sleeping in her crib. We will see....

3 comments:

Kate said...

I would be careful with the Reglan. I have a friend of mine whose daughter had serious neurological issues after taking it. (Not trying to freak you out, just make sure you do your research on it) :)

sweetiepie said...

Please be careful about having baby sleep with you. They can get caught up in the covers or a parent can inadvertantly roll onto baby and smother them. There have been several cases just like that in our area in the past 4 months. Talk about this with your pediatrician.

Hummingbird said...

Listen to your gut and do what it tells you to do...trust your instincts as a mother.