Thursday, June 9, 2011

Life with 2 kids under 2!

I get asked alot what it is like having 2 kids less than 2 years apart...so here is my take right now:

It is hard. The end.

Just kidding, but it is hard. It is easier having a newborn this time around because I have already been through it before. I know things I didnt know the first time. I worry less. It comes more natural. BUT it is extremely more difficult because I have a toddler.

Its hard because 1) I cant sleep when the baby sleeps. I can only nap when Audrie naps, and thank God Ki is a good sleeper! 2) Audrie is going through the transition of having a new sibling. She is hitting and pushing other children. She pushes boundaries even more. 3) I have to feed Ki a bottle every 3 hours which takes about 30 minutes minimum. So while I am doing this, Audrie does alot of things she knows she isnt supposed to do because she knows I am not going to stop feeding him to chase her. 4) We are still in beginning stages of potty training. Very hard to do w/ a newborn. 5) Audrie wants to help alot. And sometimes it really is helpful. She brings me diapers, wipes, burp rags. Sometimes its not so helpful. Trying to pick up Ki, trying to shove the paci in his mouth, taking out the bottle or paci just because. 6) Audrie has regressed to how she was at about 13/14 months. Very clingly. Whining while I am cooking to hold her, always wanting help to do things she has been doing independently for months, etc... 7) It takes us a LONG time to get ready. Between getting both kids ready, feeding Audrie, feeding Ki, getting myself half-way decent, we dont leave the house earlier than 9! Today we didnt leave til 10!

I know Audrie is just adjusting and it will be better over time. It seems to get better each day actually. But that is my answer when people ask. I will keep updating what it is like. I am sure as Ki and Audrie both get older it will bring different challenges and bring different positive things.

So the positive things: 1) She loves her brother. 2) When Audrie wakes up, she asks where the baby is. 3) She gives him kisses all the time. 4) I love having a little boy. 5) He is sooooo sweet. 5) I love having a newborn again. 6) I could hold Ki all day and give him kisses. :) 7) I am really really enjoying a child that cant move anywhere on his own. Ha!

No comments: