Friday, September 2, 2011

being intentional.

At Audrie's 2 year check-up we were given paperwork to tell us guidelines of raising a 2 year old. And one thing in there said they should be watching no more than 1 hour of t.v. a day. Um. Who wrote this? Oh... a man sitting in an office? Not a stay-at-home mom with a rambunctious 2 year old and a 3 month old baby. Ohhhh, ok...thats what I thought.

Needless to say, it did kinda get me in the gut thinking how much I let Audrie watch tv. Usually, it is just on in her room as background noise, but still. Its pretty much on all day while we are home.

This is my solution:

I am starting to be intentional. First thing is she is starting MDO twice a week. And during that she will be learning colors, letter, numbers, shapes...so my hope is to continue the work while she is at home the other days. I tried this before to do "tot" school. I got really overwhelmed, so now I taking it slow but still doing something.

This is what we did today:

COLORS: I printed off color cards you can find here and worked with her on match her colors. She currently knows pink, brown, blue, green, orange, yellow, white and black. She has a hard time with red and I introduced grey for the first time today.





She did good with the game at the beginning but lost interest pretty quick.

TRANSFERRING: I gave Audrie 2 big bowls and small cups to transfer water back and forth. Then did it with rice. She did better with the water because she wanted to get the rice everywhere. I think I let her do this too long because she ended up getting destructive with it.





PLAYDOUGH: Audrie's bestfriend Adalynn came over and we made playdough! The girls really liked it and it was easy to make. Plus, we got to review our colors blue, green and yellow. To see the recipe I used go here.


Last thing I did today was join Raising Rock Stars Pre-School website. It has lots of cool print-outs and power point presentations for pre-schoolers and older. We watched the pp of the letter Aa, rectangle, green and 12.

When Audrie see an Aa she says "Audrie". So...working on that. She could pick out the color and shape. She can count to 10 but not beyond.

I hope to blog about this weekly in accordance with her school "letter, color, number and shape".


1 comment:

lindsey said...

We've been doing this, too! I was planning to post (someday ha) about it as well. I got REALLY overwhelmed with the tot school site, too, but I did finally, like you, start to take it a little at a time. It feels better not putting the pressure on myself, and I feel like at least she's getting exposed even if I'm not doing it perfectly! ha Hope it goes well for you, and I hope Audrie likes MDO!!