Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Big Switcheroo

We are switching to cloth diapers. I know we are crazy. You might be wondering why in the world would I decide this when my child is 10 months old?

A. We have not had to buy disposable diapers before now. We were given diapers at showers. Then for Christmas we asked for no gifts for us or Audrie, only formula and diapers. And my lovely Aunt bought us quite a few boxes of diapers. So we were set...Honestly, we still have 1 box left...I bought target brand for during the day and was going to use the expensive ones for night time. Anyway, so cost is the first reason. It will be a big up front cost which I am doing some odd jobs to be able to buy them. Plus, I can buy as many as we need for 2 days, then wash them every other day. Yes, more work, but less $, and when you are on a budget, this is a good thing.

B. It is better for the environment. I am not a big go green kinda person. I kinda want to be in some ways..but anyway, I just feel like this is better. I am sure I could do the research and enter statistics and facts here, but i am not going to.

C. Its better for the babies bottom. We havent had any problems with Audrie's bottom in fact, she has had 1 diaper rash and it was from teething. It lasted like 1 1/2 days. From what I have read on the internet, it is better for a baby. But think about it, if you had to wear a diaper everyday, would you want a plastic one or a cloth one?

D. It's a challenge. And Im always up for one!

If you're like me, when you think of cloth diapers...you think of this...


Well, friend, good thing we live in 2010! Modern cloth diapering companies have created cloth diapers to be so much simpler, and in ways very similar to a disposable one...

Here are the cloth diapers I am using. (except I didnt get organic)



I will continue updating as we experience this change. And talk about how we made the switch! 



1 comment:

SkinnyMeg said...

It's not for me, but I'd love to hear how you like it! The cloth diapers are so darn cute. I had a friend switch to them when her daughter was a year old and she's loving it.