Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Men in My Life II

This is my papaw, Floyd Hezekiah Allen...and me...


My papaw died when I was in highschool. He is my father's father. He was a very hard worker and founded Allen's Electric Motors.

Things I remember about my grandpa:

I remember staying at his house and him and grandmother would watch the same show but in different rooms. And they would only use sound on one of the t.v.'s. I thought this was really funny.

I remember sitting on his lap as a little girl while he wound a motor.

I remember helping him spray paint some motors.

My favorite memory:  My papaw was put in a nursing home towards the end of his life. One day my dad went a got him to spend the day together and for some reason I had to keep him company for a few minutes while my dad ran an errand. Well, my papaw kept telling me stories of my uncles and aunt when they were younger. And he kept telling me over and over to not get in car with a boy alone! :)  I will cherish that conversation with him for the rest of my life.

Funny memory: At my papaw's funeral, I fainted at the burial site. Apparently, I had low blood sugar and all I had eaten that day was cake. I was SOOOOOO embarrassed. But now, its funny.

Oh...I almost forgot! So, a few years ago, I was researching my genealogy. Well apparently, you can find someones SSN if they have passed. I found Floyd Hezekiah Jr.  And I was like WHAT? There is no junior. There is Uncle Mickey (Michael), my dad Larry Powell and Uncle Richard. I called my dad and asked about it...Then I found out my papaw had been married TWICE before my grandmother! And with one of the women, she had a son! Who flew a medical helicopter and had gotten in an accident a number of years ago...My Aunt Peggy didnt even know she had a half-brother until she was in highschool!

Apparently, my mamaw didnt want people to know. Well, I uncovered the family secret!

Also, my Papaw was in WWII and was injured in a fox hole. He wouldnt talk about this much either. My dad only knew about it from my grandma.

I wish they were still alive so I could find out more! I really want to name my future son Hezekiah and call him Kiah, but GT isnt crazy about it :(   and I wouldnt want anyone to call him Hezzy!

No comments: