Sunday, May 30, 2010

Men in My Life I

In lieu of Father's Day approaching, I thought I would share about some men who have impacted my life and write about some memories I have of/with them.


This is my Tatol. My mom's dad. His name is John Charles Dickey. 
He passed away when I was in middle school. He had muscular dystrophy.
I only remember him being in a wheel chair.
I remember going to the middle room of his house and getting him a cigar.
I remember gathering around him and my nanny at holidays to take a picture.
I remember going to his pawn shop.
I remember having our family Christmas at the hospital when he had a stroke. 

There arent too many things I remember about my Tatol. 
Towards the end of his life, he was in a hospital bed at his house.

I do though have memories passed down in stories for my grandma and my mom.

One of my favorites, is how my grandparents met. My grandma (Dolly) was working at a hamburger shop and my grandpa (Charles) was working in the oil field. The guys would go to lunch at the hamburger shop. Dolly saw him right away and thought he was cute. The problem was their was always a group of guys with him. So one day, Dolly left the hamburger meat off of Charles sandwich so when he had to come back alone. And he did. And she got him alone. And the rest is history. 

My grandpa was a good man. He was mayor of Oil City for many years and did great things. I wish I had had more time to know him. I love to hear stories from family about him. 

I know he was a wonderful husband and a great dad.

No comments: