Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

Tonight, my husband has requested Shepherd's Pie. His mom made it often when he was growing up...and mine didnt. So a few months ago, when he requested it, I had no idea how to make it. I had heard of it before.

I asked G.T.'s mom for the recipe...and have kind of made it into my own version...

Here it is:

Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients:

1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
1 small onion
Optional: Bell pepper, celery
Tony's, Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper
4 or 5 medium size potatoes
Optional: Butter, Cream Cheese and Milk
Sliced Cheese

Peel potatoes. Cut into small chunks. Boil (about 20 minutes). Mash with potato masher. Mix in 1/2 stick of butter. 1/2 Block of Cream Cheese and a little milk. Spice it up if you would like. I put a little Lawry's seasoned salt in mine.

While potatoes are boiling, brown ground turkey with chopped onion. (I dont have a bell pepper or I would use it and I do not like celery). If you like celery and have a bell pepper, chop them and throw them in with meat. Then spice the meat with Tony's, Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder. Or whatever spices make you happy.

Place meat in a casserole dish. Spoon and smooth finished potatoes over meat. Place slices of cheese on top and they will melt. If not, you can pop it into the over for a few minutes to melt cheese.

And thats it! :)  Easy Peasy.


You might ask, where are the veggies? Usually Shepherd's Pie is made with veggies. No here. But I do serve it with some. Tonight will probably be LeSeur Early Peas. Because I love them.

1 comment:

SkinnyMeg said...

Sounds super yummy!