Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My Parent's Love Story (In Part)

Today is my dad and mom's 37th Wedding Anniversary! Whoa! Thats a LONG time!  Anyway, I asked her permission to write out their love story....or the beginning of it. The parts I know. And she reluctantly said yes. I dont think she knows I remember the details.



My dad went with a buddy to eat a catfish restaurant named Cool Point in Oil City, LA. My mom happened to be their waitress. When my mom left the table after getting their drink orders, my dad looked at his buddy and said, "I am going to marry that woman".

My dad got her number and called her up. He asked her out and she said no. Then he said, "Can I ask you a personal question?", and she said, "depends what it is"...He said, "Was that your real hair?" and she said "No, it was a wig"..."Good", he says. My mom still told him no. Then my dad called back and talked to my grandma...and somehow she talked my mom into going.


For their first date, they were going to the movies. And my dad showed up in a three piece suit carrying an umbrella in case it rained! My mom thought he was an old man! (He is 4 years older!) Then when they got in the car, he put down the armrest so my mom wouldnt cuddle up next to him! It made her so mad, she didnt want to go another date with him.






So, he asked her out for the next weekend and she said no, because she had another date. Well, turns out her date came and asked her to marry him. She said no, of course, so the date ended early. And she went out on the lake with her girlfriends...and guess who was there? Larry P! (my dad)...He was mad because he thought she lied. He called and she told him the story, and she felt so bad...she decided to go out with him again. And this time was different. This time she started to fall in love with him.





Summer ended quickly and she had to go back to school, 2 hours away from my dad. They wrote each other a letter for everyday of the week. (My dad would write all of them at the same time, then mail them each day) **She wont let me read these!** My dad would go see my mom every other weekend. One weekend he rode his motorcycle. On the way home, it started to pour down rain and all he had was a small wind jacket on. So he pulled over into someone's barn. Then once he got home, he got his car and ran down to the post office. It was really cold out and he accidently locked his keys in his car and he was barefoot. He had to walk about 1/2 mile home in the cold to get an extra key. He was there to get the letters from my mom. **He tells this story much better**


On of my favorite stories, I have only heard a few times....Once when my parents were engaged, they were sitting in my dad's car and made a commitment to God that they would go to church every Sunday, tithe and raise their children for Him. I am sure there is some more detail, but I love that. That before they were even married they made this commitment to each other and the Lord!


They dated a year, were engaged a year and then got married on June 2, 1973. 

No comments: