Saturday, May 14, 2011

Follow-Up from my last post...

I feel like my last post needed a little clarification on a few things I said.

When I said I am worried about the hospital staff when giving birth is because they can really help or really hinder your birth experience. They have certain protocols they follow: internal/external monitoring, IV, not eating and drinking during labor, etc... I know I will be going against the grain. I had a WONDERFUL nurse when I was in labor with Audrie. I know I didnt have the natural experience, but she was great. My bestfriend, however, had a nurse that was not so helpful. After 13 hours of pitocin induced labor (with no pain medication), the doctor came in to find the nurse had her pitocin as high as it could go, allowing her to struggle to breath. She wouldnt help her go to the bathroom. And all sorts of other issues. The hospital I am giving birth at, and really Longview in general, is a little behind time. As my doctor explained to me, alot of the doctors in this area think they invented child birth and always do things by the text book.

Secondly, in the end of my post, I said, "They could care less about us as people, women and mothers. They want our money and to do as little work as possible to get it." The previous post came from watching the documentary "Pregnant in America" and from the email I got from the hospital. In the documentary, it talks about a group of doctors in practice together that have a 80% c-section rate! And how this one doctor told a woman her pelvis was too small to give birth so she would need a c-section. She then finds out he had a vacation scheduled the day after he wanted her to have c-section, she did end up giving birth vaginally with another doctor. There are many many more stories like this is in the documentary. Of course, I know not all doctors are like this.

I was told something in my Bradley method classes that really stuck with me and I think I have even said it on here before. The nurses, doctors, etc... will not remember my birth, but I will. Forever. And it is mine and my husbands job to be educated and advocate for our birth the way we want. Will it turn out exactly how we want it? It might not, but we know what we want in all circumstances. Even if I was using a midwife, GT and I are ultimately responsible for our birth. This goes for any couple or woman giving birth. Even if she knows she wants a c-section or epidural. She should still be able to make decisions about what she wants or doesnt want.

No comments: