Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ki's Birth Story

**Disclaimer: If you do not care to read the details of a natural birth, then stop reading. There are details you might not care to read.**

GT and I decided with the advice of our doctor to be induced by breaking my water. We decided this for a few reasons, my main one was that I was sick of waiting and planning each day as if it were the "day". This is really the first variation from having a "natural" birth. Anyway, so at my doctors appt on 5/19 we decided to induce on 5/21. I was already 5cm and 70-80% effaced.

We decided to use a different hospital this time to save money. We got to Longview Regional at 8:00. We registered at the front desk then went to our L&D room. I peed in a cup then put on the gown. The nurse came in and we answered a bunch of questions. She had spoken with my doctor so she knew kind of what my birth plan was. We talked about  intermediate external fetal monitoring (efm), having a saline lock, being mobile in between the efm, sitting on birth ball, etc... We came to a understanding of what she needed during the labor and I told her what I needed.

The doctor didnt show up until about 10:30. He broke my water and checked me. Still 5cm and between 70-80% and station was -2. The nurse put me on the efm for 20 minutes. Once that 20 minutes was up, I got up and walked around the room for 30 minutes.   Nothing really happened once my water was broken. I felt a little cramping but that was about it. I walked around the room alot. I sat on the toilet alot. And nothing.

The doc came in a little before 1 and told me we would need to start pitocin. At 1, the pitocin drip was started on a low level (6). I felt contractions right away. 30 minutes into the pitocin drip they got really intense. The nurse said I had to be on the EFM (strapped in the bed) the whole time I was on pitocin. She came in and I asked her to check me. I was at 6cm. I told her that I needed to pee. She took me off the efm. Once I got on the toilet my contractions were very very painful. At this point, I told GT I wanted an epidural. I told him I couldnt do it if I had to get back and lay in the hospital bed. BTW, the efm wasnt even picking up that I was having contractions!!! And the nurse wanted to up the amount I was getting!!!! GT told her no. Thank goodness! The nurse said to get an epidural I would have to get 2 bags of saline in my system before they could do that. (so really, I wouldnt have had time to get one, but I didnt know that at this point)

My doc came in and told me I really didnt want one. I told him I couldnt be strapped down to the bed and on pitocin drip without one. He said they could hook up the efm to me standing up and I laid across the bed on my birth ball. This whole time while contracting, I was moaning. Before I had this experience I would watch shows and think women were being weanies. Oh no, my friend. I couldnt control the sounds coming out of my mouth! It was so painful! Then I told them I really felt like I needed to go to the bathroom. Dr. didnt want me to because he thought I would deliver on the toilet. Well, I ribbed off all the monitors and went myself. The doctor told the nurse I went "radical". Haha. Then I got on the bed on all 4's. and thats when I felt the urge to push. The doc checked me and I will a 8. He said my cervix was really elastic so as I pushed it would widen.

I pushed for about 15 minutes in the beginning. It wasnt real serious. Just light pushes when I wanted. Then he checked me and all I had was a lip on my cervix left. Then the pushing got intense. It was so hard. I didnt think he would ever come out. I pushed about 25 minutes then decided I wasnt making any progress. I told the doc and nurse I needed a pep talk. They gave me one and my doc helped me find where to push. Once he did that, I pushed him out! His head came out first, and 30 seconds later came his shoulders. That was THE hardest part. It hurt more than anything I have ever felt.

So about 3 1/2 hours of labor he was out, I was exhausted. GT was elated! He even cried! :)  Everyone kept saying how big Ki looked, then the nursery nurse said 9lbs 3 oz. I was like WHAT??? I thought I was supposed to have a 7lb baby!!! I had a 2nd degree tear that I didnt feel. The doc gave me a local before he stitched me up. I got to feed Ki shortly after and he latched on!

We got to come home on Sunday evening. We had lots of company that night. Sunday night was rough on sleep because my milk wasnt in yet and little guy was hungry. My milk came in Monday night and that night was much, much better. Breast feeding is tough. I am so thrilled Ki has latched and we will make it through, I understand why more people do not do it. It really is tough, especially having another child who is a toddler. I am determined though!

The baby blues hit me today. We had a meeting with the lactation consultant. Then made a little target run while my parents were keeping Audrie. When we got home, they left. Audrie cried, I cried. And I couldnt stop crying. And really havent stopped. I know it will go away. All these crazy hormones and not as much sleep as normal! :)


2 comments:

Kristen T said...

Wow! You are my hero! :) Congratulations! Just remember, it will get better! (People kept telling me that and I didn't/couldn't see how or when!) The breastfeeding will work it self out soon! I'll be praying for ya'll!

The Dimino's said...

So excited for you!!!! I knew you would do it!! Ki is so precious!! So how did you like Regional????