Sunday, May 15, 2011

Potty Training...Sorta

We have entered into the world of going to the potty. We have had an attachment seat for a few months now. We put Audrie on it a few times probably around February to let her know this is your potty. The first time she peed on the potty was on March 27 with my mother-n-law. After that, it was a few weeks before she peed on the potty again. Every time we just happened to put her on the potty when she needed to go.

I had decided that I would wait until Ki was born to focus more on the whole potty training ordeal. Well, Audrie thought different. In the past 2-3 weeks, she has been asking to go to the potty alot. Many times though, she just wanted to sit on the potty and play. I am not one for patience in this area. I am like pee or get off the pot. Ha! So...I thought, we need a reward system. My child LOVES candy. Really anything sweet, just like her mama. I got some M&M's and put them in a clear bowl in the bathroom. It didnt take her long to learn that if she pee's in the potty, she gets a piece of candy. This has worked in getting her to go to the potty alot more and actually doing something when she is on the potty.

Frustrating things:

Wasting diapers. I have been really bad about not doing cloth diapers. Being so pregnant, I just dont have the energy. Anyway, I feel like we are wasting so many diapers by going to the potty all the time. If her diaper is dry, I will put on the same one, but I have a hard time putting one with pee back on, even if it is just one time.

There are still many times Audrie says she needs to potty and she doesnt actually potty. I dont think she quite has the sensation down yet. I think she tells me alot of times when she is peeing in her diaper or right after she pees in her diaper.

She cant do it herself. Our step-stool is not tall enough for her to get on and off the potty herself. Again, being 9 months preggo, this is no fun. I hope to get a taller one soon along with starting training panties/big girl panties, so she can do it more herself. She is a good wiper though! :) And I also plan on not being pregnant too much longer!

Audrie has not pooed on the toliet yet. Last weekend, she stayed with my mother-in-law and finished a poo in the toliet. I feel like we will have to "catch" her about to poo and show her that its FUN to poo on the toliet! HA!

Fun things:

She gets SOOOOOOO excited for herself and anyone else that pees on the toilet. It is really cute and funny!

I love watching her learn new things and becoming more independent.

The end of diapers for her is closer than it has been! :)

The PLAN:

I bought her Elmo potty DVD and a few potty books. Once Ki is here and things settle down a little, I am going to try hardcore. Fill her full of juice/milk, take her to the potty every 15-30 minutes, talk about the potty all day, watch the potty DVD all day/read the books...etc...

I feel like she really is ready, I just have to do the hard work for a few days. And if it doesnt work then thats ok. I just hate sitting on the fence at this point. If we are gonna potty, then we are gonna potty!

No comments: