Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Making Baby Food

I know I have mentioned making baby food in previous posts, but I wanted to go into an extensive account of it to have the memories (and possibly to remind myself in the future).

In November, Lynzie and I decided to make green beans and green peas. Even though our girls wouldnt eat it for sometime we wanted to be prepared. So we purchased frozen green peas and beans at wal-mart. Along with small round tuperware bowls, ice trays and ziploc bags. We began by steaming them in our rice cookers. Mine is small and Lynzie's is rather large. But we felt like it took forever. (***Just for a side note, the only vegetable I eat is LeSuer (sp?) english peas, so I have no idea how to cook vegetables) So then I read the back of the bag and it says you can boil them. We did that with the other 2 bags we bought (we were a little gung--ho). Then we used a stand-up blender and a hand blender. We pureed them or so we thought, poured them in ice trays and stuck them in the deep freeze. A few days later, Lynzie popped them out and put them in Ziploc bags. 1st attempt at making baby food: successful. However, we did not puree them enough, so I have to mix them again once they are thawed.




2nd attempt at making baby food: We did carrots, squash and sweet potatoes. Carrots were done the same as the green beans and peas, except they were fresh so we had to peel and slice them AND we steamed all of them because we found out that is the best way to keep in all the nutrients. Then squash and sweet potatoes were not so easy. To do squash you cut them in half length-wise, scoop out seeds, put them face down in a pan with an inch of water. bake them in the oven, then scoop out the inside. It didnt make very much and it was alot of steps. but the pureed really well. sweet potatoes you cook like regular potato. wrap in foil. cook in oven. peel the skins. puree. they were actually hard to puree. maybe cause they are already so soft?

anyway, that has been our adventure so far. Audrie has been eating green beans for 2 days now. I offer her food 3 times a day, morning, afternoon and night. I just cant give her green beans for breakfast, it weirds me out, so she gets oatmeal. then lunch and dinner she gets green beans. at lunch she didnt care for them too much, but dinner she ate 2 oz's! And might have eaten more, but I didnt over it to her anymore!

We have been very blessed with a baby who sleeps well and eats well. Audrie met Santa too, but I will save that for another post!

No comments: