Thursday, December 3, 2009

Turning 25

Four years ago...I guess I was turning 21. My mom sent me this email on my birthday:

Hope you had a great birthday...I know you were a blessing in our lives 21 years ago. I had already had 2 miscarriages. We didn't know if you were a boy or girl. I was having blood pressure problems and had been dilated 4 cm for a few weeks. When I went for a checkup, I used the stairs, so that didn't help the blood pressure. The Dr. said , go home get my bag and head straight to the hospital to try to get things under control and rest. We shipped the boys off to the Mudges until Mrs. Allen could get there. After several hours in the waiting room, Larry had to throw a fit!. He said we came because my wife needs to get some rest and her blood pressure under control..she needs a room right now! A little more forceful as I remember! It worked. They even put us in a special beautiful private suite...go Larry! The next day they started a drip to make contractions come faster...nothing...Dr. came into examine, said you were breech, and that the monitor was half broken...whatever...still didn't know if you were a girl...after several more hours they scheduled a c section...we had to wait after deliveries already scheduled were done and rooms cleaned after births...finally...our turn...I ask the Dr. if he thought you were a girl..he said he thought so...I was awake the whole time with an epidural...Larry was in the delivery room too... Dr. asked me about names...I said Lydia if a girl, no boy names yet...He said Lydia the tattoo lady then started singing a song...no, I assured him, Lydia from the Bible. He quickly quit singing Lydia the tattoo Lady...smile...then you arrived kicking the dr., feet first. Just like when the boys were born, I looked at Larry and he smiled and said a girl and whispered to me all fingers completely formed...something that was always such a matter of prayer for us...Dad wanted Jesus to be one of the first names all our children heard, so when they handed you over to him, he whispered the name above all names into your ear...of course, we had prayed, read, and talked to you for 9 months, but now you had arrived...perfect in every way...The Lord had answered the desires of my heart...Nanny came and spent the nights with us in the hospital for 4 nights. Mamaw Joyce was at our house taking care of Dad and the boys.Since you came a few weeks early, the Christmas tree was half decorated...we didn't mind... You came home in a bright red dress that Mamaw bought you. What a priceless gift from the Lord. You went to church when you were about a week old, you were fine, I could hardly walk, much less care for 2 little boys and one big boy...then dad made us a bed in the van and took us to Nannys for someone to help as I recovered...Just thought you might want to hear a few of my memories about your first birthday...I love you, Mom

I cant never get through reading this without crying. If you know me well, you know my mom and I are bestfriends. Having a daughter, this email means so much more and hits home right to my heart. One time I let a co-worker read this, and she said "girl, you were spoiled before you ever came out of the womb!". Haha. This is very true. I am still spoiled :) and now...I am passing it on to my daughter.

I am pretty sure the first time my dad held Audrie, he did the same thing. He whispered in her ear the name above all names.

Looking back on the past 24 years of my life just reminds me of how blessed I am.






No comments: