Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cloth Diapering Road Block #1

So, I am still in love with cloth diapering. Yes. I love it. Seriously.

About a month ago, I started noticing a problem. I would wash the diapers...once on cold-normal. then one on hot-heavy (heavy is just a heavier rinse/spin cycle, then it rinses one more time in cold)... and they would still come out having an ammonia scent to them. And this grossed me out. And it was giving Audrie little rashes because I wasnt fully getting rid of the ammonia.

At the time, I was using All Free & Clear detergent. I researched on the internet what to do. In that, I found the problem. The inserts used for the cloth diapers are made out of microfiber, which is super absorbent, but it can also get build-up caught in it. That is what was happening with our diapers. The detergent we were using wasnt powerful enough to strip the ammonia.

Here is the solution: Tide (Original Scent). Tide makes a clear detergent, but it only comes in liquid. We cant use liquid detergent because we have a front loader washing machine and it makes it smell musty.

Anyway, it worked for us! Audrie has never had a sensitive bottom so it didnt matter as far the as the little scent in the Tide. It really is very minimal! And no more ammonia smell!!!!

We successfully overcame our first road block in cloth diapering!

No comments: