Friday, August 13, 2010

PW Lasagna and Cupcakes


Last night, GT and I went to LoveStrong. It is once a month get together at a local restaurant where marriage counselors, Steve and Debbie Wilson, come and speak on a topic relating to marriage. They do this in Shreveport and in Longview.

In February of this year, GT and I attended a marriage retreat that Steve and Debbie did in Longview. It was really good for our marriage and made us realize some things we needed to work on before they became issues. My mom and dad have always taught me that I can always be a better person and by going to things like this it can really strengthen your marriage. It does NOT mean something is wrong.

 I think that is why alot of people are so scared to go to counseling. I will be the first to tell you that GT and I have been to marriage counseling. Our marriage wasnt on the rocks. We were actually really happy in our marriage. GT had just been laid off, I was 7 months pregnant and we needed someone to talk to. And we are so glad we did. Honestly, if we had the money I would go again. We can always improve.

Off soapbox now.

GT's mom and step dad came over to watch Audrie while we went to LoveStrong, so I made them dinner....from no other than...Pioneer Woman!

For the main dish we had Lasagna. Or The.Best.Lasagna.Ever. in Pioneer Woman's words.



Here is the review:

Time: I have made this twice and made it different, so the first time it takes about 30 minutes to prepare and 20 to cook. Second time it took me 15 minutes to prepare and 55 minutes to cook. Will explain below. It is easy peasy to make.

Changes: First time I made it just like her recipe. Second time I thought I would save some time by using Oven Ready Lasagna noddles. If you havent heard of these, they are basically noodles you dont have boil before, you just layer them in raw and they cook themselves. Yes, it saved me prep time. I hate boiling Lasagna noodles. However, you have to layer differently, because there has to be a meat sauce on the bottom. Here is how I layered:  Meat Sauce, Noodle, Cottage Cheese mixture, meat sauce, noddle, cc mixture then a layer of sliced mozzarella cheese on top. Worked out great! Just remember to add in the longer cooking time if you plan to use the oven ready noodles!

Reaction: Everyone really enjoyed it! I enjoyed it too!

Overall: I think I liked the second round better than the first. The first seemed to be really meaty to me, and I would rather taste the cheese and noodles.




Desert: Yellow Cupcakes with Sticky Chocolate Icing

Time: About 20 minutes to assemble- 20 minutes to bake. Then it took about 4 minutes to assemble the icing and about 6 to put it on the cupcakes.

Changes: The recipe calls for you to have room temperature eggs and I didnt have time for that! Other than that the same...And I did sift and loved it!

Reaction: GT really liked them. He said they had a coffee flavor, I thought they had a dark chocolate flavor.

Overall: My only complaint is that they didnt turn out as moist as I was hoping for. Maybe it is because I didnt let the eggs become room temperature. Also, I poured the icing on as soon as it was mixed, next time I might wait a minute or two for it to become more stiff so I have better control of it. Anyway, all that to say they were good and I will make them again!

No comments: