Sunday, August 21, 2011

Minnie Mouse Birthday Part 1

Its no surprise that I love to have a fun birthday party for my kids, full of color and cute crafts! For Audrie's first birthday I did just a general polka dot theme. This year, it was a no-brainer, to do minnie mouse. Audrie used to have a constant love for anything "Mouse". However, I didnt want to have the typical minnie mouse party. I decided the first thing would be to pick a base color. Minnie mouse now wears a pink dress which I LOVE pink, but everyone does pink MM now, so I chose to go vintage Mickey, red and white polka dot! As I was starting the decor, I felt like it needed one more color so I added a hint of yellow. The yellow comes from Minnie Mouse's shoes when she wore red/white.

Below I was share the different crafts and things I did for the party! It was so fun to prepare for!

I probably spent more time collecting stuff for the goody bags than anything else. I went to a few dollar stores, wal-art and target to find the treasures for the goody bags. Everything inside was mouse of some sort. There were penciles, notepads, plastic disc, candy, a small puzzle, a magnet head of minnie or mickey, stickers...and I bought crayons for them too but they melted. I also had extra ballons I didnt use so I threw those in too.

I bought the goody bags 2/$1 @ Party City in Shreveport. I purchased the ribbon and polka dot tissue paper @ Hobby Lobby. I ordered the die-cut minnie mouse heads off of ebay.



A wonderful lady, Cheryl Coats, made Audrie this cute minnie mouse dress.  She loves it and so do I! 



I had left over ribbon from the wreath ribbon so I made a rag wreath. I printed out a 2 on scrapbook paper and cute it out and attached it with ribbon. 



This is one of my favorite crafts I did for the party. I used this tutorial. It was so easy and fun to make! I will be making more of these for the holidays.
I made 2 of these for centerpieces.

How to make the minnie mouse head-

Materials:
2 Small styrofoam balls
1 Large styrofoam ball
2 toothpicks
1 Can of Black Spray Paint
Ribbon (if doing minnie)
1 dowel rod

Spray paint styrofoam balls. Place toothpicks in smaller ones and stick them in large one. Make bow out of ribbon, hot glue or stick in with toothpick. Stick dowel rod in bottom and place in container.

I bought the bucket half off at hobby lobby then did white polka dots. Put a large styrofoam disc in bottom. Cute fake flowers to fit. GT cut dowel rod with a key hole saw. Put tissue paper in to fill in space. And there ya go! :)

I had bought my styrofoam balls in a pack so I had enough to make 3 heads, so my third one I used on the favor table.


Used a small clear bowl I had. I filled it up with these little decorative foam balls from Hobby Lobby. Stuffed tissue paper in the top then hot glued some yellow stringy stuff.

More decor to come...

2 comments:

lindsey said...

Such a cute party! Great job, girl!

Kristen T said...

I love all the decor! I just might make a wreath too! And her dress is so cute! What a great theme idea!