Friday, April 16, 2010

Hodge Podge of Things

I have been meaning to blog for awhile now, about various topics. Some reason, my child has decided napping is not fun anymore unless she is sleeping in my arms. So...I have limited time to blog. I hope this is a phase that passes fast.

First order of business. I have previously blogged about wanting wear Audrie again. She just wants to be held so much these days, and holding a 19 pound 8 month old will wear you out! So...after much research I decided to get a ring sling (unpadded) from here. I ordered a European linen one in the color ginger (light tan). I decided to order from this particular woman because of all the good reviews on her quality of work and it was reasonably priced. I picked linen because of how hot it gets here and picked a neutral color. I will update how it works for us!

Second- BABY EINSTEIN. My major in college was Family and Child Studies and in many of my classes we discussed parenting and various topics...Well, one class the brand Baby Einstein was brought up. And everyone was saying how it was invented by a mom, and it isnt scientifically studied etc... So this is the view I took on as well. UNTIL NOW! I purchased Babies First Sounds dvd...and oh my goodness. My child just sits and watches this for about 40 minutes straight. It is stupid and gets on my nerves, but I dont care. It allows me to get things done...you know, like a take a shower. Anyway, Im not too excited about Audrie watching tv, because when we have it on normal tv she doesnt even pay attention to it (except for Wheel of Fortune. I think she likes the clapping)...so sometimes I feel bad for letting her watch it (sometimes twice a day!) but a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do!

Third- I didnt do a weekly diet blog. I just didnt have time, so I will include it here. I was 197 on Tuesday. Makes a total of 31 pounds lost! And 12 to go!

Lastly and a little more seriously...God has been teaching me about alot of things, too many to insert here. But there are 2 big things dealing with marriage and I thought I would quickly share them.

   1. Expectations. My hub went from a job were he got home at 5:30, got off half day on Fridays to working some nights until 7 and even has to work a Saturday a month. I am very grateful for his job and he loves his job. It has been hard for me to adjust. I expect him to be home no later than 5:30 and when he isnt I get upset, he gets upset, its no good. Its not that he doesnt want to be home at 5:30 he does, it just isnt how his job works, especially right now. I am having to learn to lower my expectations. When he gets home at 5:30...great! If not, he is out working so hard to provide for me and Audrie. And I know he would much rather be home with us then treating someone's house for termites or other pests.

This is just an example, but we do this all the time. We hold our spouses or even other family members to these high expectations that are not realistic. And we get mad at them and blame them, when in all actuality it is us that needs to change. We are the ones with the expectations. I find when I do this, I get a lot less frustrated and so does he. I just need to be reminded alot! :)

     2. If someone wins, both people lose. One of my favorite professors in college told our class this, and it has stuck with me. If my husband and I are an argument, and I "win" then we both lose. This really can be said for any argument between any people not just spouses. Winning is not the best result. The best result is to come to an understanding and agreement that makes both people satisfied, so both win.

This is a lot easier to say then to do in the moment of a heated argument. Many times I remember this after the fact and have to go back and correct it.

No comments: