Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Can being "fat" be healthy?

Almost every morning, I have Good Morning America on. Sometimes I am able to watch it sometimes not. Yesterday, I caught a clip of JuJu (sp?) holding a debate on this issue. There were 4 women, two said yes, two said no. I recorded Nightline, which had an extended version of the debate. If you are interested in watching it, click here.

Since I am currently on a diet and my family is one that struggles with weight, I thought I would share my opinions. My bottom line answer to the question is NO, however, what is "fat"?  Was I "fat" before I went on my diet, I would say Yes. When I reach my weight goal will I be "fat"? Not to me. Not to the charts of my "healthy" weight, but to some else, maybe.

I have never been lower than a size 12 as an adult. (basically I mean after high school) And I dont think I will ever be "healthy" and lower than a size 12. But when I am a size 12 I feel skinny. I look a lot better and feel alot better. That is my size goal.

A few points brought up in the debate was someone who is overweight or obese has health problems and is at more risk for chronic illness. This is something I do believe.When I was in college, I took a class on gerontology (the study of older people). We went over the diseases that effect most older adults (heart attack, cancer, Alzheimer's, etc...) and for every one of them the book would discuss ways to lower your chances...the first three were always 1. No Smoking 2. Healthy Weight 3. Exercise
Sure people who are healthy, dont smoke and exercise have heart attacks and get cancer, however, those things lessen the likelihood. 

One of the women on the panel was a plus-size model (size 12) who agreed you can be healthy and fat. BUT SHE ISNT FAT! Some people might perceive her that way, but I thought she looked good! I WILL NEVER BE WHAT THE WORLD THINKS IS "SKINNY". And I am totally ok with that. On the other hand what about a person who is just naturally "skinny" but eats junk and fast food for every meal, are they healthy? Well, no.

I understand both points of view. The larger woman on the show did not have good arguments in my opinion. and the whole time she was fixing her clothes and by the way she was sitting you could tell she was not comfortable in her own skin.

I do think childhood obesity is a problem in America. I think obesity in general is a problem in America. But so is bulimia and aneroxia. It goes both ways. There needs to be a happy medium. I hope to foster positive self-esteem in Audrie, and I also want to teach her healthy eating habits and exercise.

1 comment:

Kristen T said...

Good topic. One that is near and dear to my heart since I work with this everyday. Yes, I think one can be classified as "overweight" and still be healthy. There are probably some healthy "overweight" people out there that could beat an "underweight" person at a marathon and/or health exam. It's not all about the number on the scale or the size of your jeans.