Sunday, February 28, 2010

My OTHER Love Story Part 3

Recap:  I had been doubting my salvation since 7th grade. I am in highschool and I just had a scare that the rapture happened and I was left behind.

It happened on a Sunday. It started like any other Sunday. I went to sunday school. Mr. Ortego taught Sunday School like he always did. Church services was normal. That night after Sunday church, the boy and I and a few other friends went to eat pizza. My beeper went off (yes, I had a beeper :) It was my mom. I called her from a pay phone (no one had a cell phone). She told me Mr. Ortego our Sunday School teacher was in his garden planting flower, fell over and had a heart attack. Mr. Ortego had two children around my age. We immediately left and went to the hospital. It was scary. He died. Everyone was in shock.

The boy brought me home and we were sitting outside and I told him I didnt think I was saved. (I have no idea why I told him because he sure didnt care) That night when I went to sleep my heart was pounding. It hit me how short life is and I felt like God was telling me this was my last chance, it was now or never.

The next night I told my mom I needed to talk to her. She said we had to go run an errand first...I was thinking, what if I die while we are running our errand? I didnt, obviously. When we got back she came to my room. I started crying. I told her that I had been being fake and I wasnt really saved. She told me to go get a track and we went over Romans Road. The funny thing is I could quote all of those verses, we didnt need the track. So we went through it...

"For all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God.”  Romans 3:23


“But God demonstrates His love toward us, in that, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”  Romans 5:8


“For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  Romans 6:23


“That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”  Romans 10:9-10


“For whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”  Romans 10: 13


I kneeled beside my bed with my mom and prayed. I asked God for salvation and to be the LORD of my heart. I really dont remember what I said, but I am sure it went something like that. I ran into my parent's room and told my dad. I told him that Sunday I wanted to be baptized, share my story and sing. So, I did. I told the congregation because I did not care anymore that I had been "lying", my pride was gone. I sang Jaci Velasquez's "Flower in the Rain".


I broke up with the boy. I was changed. It was so strange. I had heard about it all my life, and it was true. I had this peace in my heart that is unexplainable. I was different. I could not wait to read my Bible. I was in love with God.


To be continued...

No comments: