Friday, January 29, 2010

A birthday week at the Nehls home!

My hubby turns 25 this SUNDAY! Yay! He says the best thing he ever did was marry an older woman...I think he is RIGHT! I mean, I am just 2 months older! :)

So because his birthday is Sunday...this whole week has been birthday week! Which has included (mostly food):

Monday night-- Cajun Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes,  Sister Shubert Dinner Rolls

  • Reviews:
    • GT loves meatloaf. I dont like it all. So I thought I would meet in the middle and try a recipe for meatloaf from the Pioneer Woman. It was ok. I think it had tooo may bell peppers. I mostly at potatoes and rolls.
    • The recipe for mashed potatoes from PW are AMAZING! Please make them! You will never make mashed potatoes the same again! (or at least I wont)
    • You can never go wrong with SS rolls. Never. Ever.
Tuesday night-- Sonic 99¢ hamburgers...Love me a sonic burger. And I have a coupon for 99¢ onion rings---EVEN Better!

Wednesday night- Chicken Fried Steak, Gravy, Mac n Cheese, Green Beans, SS dinner rolls
  • Reviews: I tried Paula Deen's recipe. It calls for buttermilk ...I liked the one with eggs better.
  • I had a happy, full husband! 
Thursday night-- GT' choice of restaurant-- he picked Olive Garden. We both had the new dish from the commercial, I had the chicken, he had the sausage. It was really good! 

Tonight-- we are going to my parents then Audries 6 month pictures in the morning, Lunch with Laura O, Doing our taxes...then....

I am throwing a surprise party for him! He has no idea. Like really. And he doesnt ever read my blog, so I am not worried...

Today I went to Lynzies...made Potato Salad and a Sheath Cake...and she is going to put some pork in the crock pot for pulled pork sandwiches... I cant wait!

Recipe for Potato Salad

Ingredients: 

Potatoes (Peeled, cubed, boiled)
4 or 5 eggs depending on how many taters (boiled)
Mayo ( the real stuff, not light, not fat free and not miracle whip!)
Mustard
Hamburger Dill Pickles
Salt
Pepper

Directions:
  • Peel your potatoes, cut them in cubes, put them in water and bring to boil (I throw my eggs in there too)
  • I boil mine for usually like 25-30 minutes. You know they are done by sticking a fork into a a cube. If it is soft and the fork goes all the way through, they are done.
  • Drain potatoes. Put in a large bowl.
  • Dump in some mayo. I use 1/3 of a large jar. Squirt some mustard. You want it to be a medium yellow when mixed together. Dont go light on the mustard!
  • I put my pickles (ab 2 cups) in a small food processor and get them diced really fine. I have tried it with dill pickle relish and didnt like it. It makes a difference.
  • Peels boiled eggs, chop them really fine.
  • Throw in a little salt and a little pepper to taste. You can always add more!
  • Mix all ingredients.  I use a whisk.
  • If not creamy enough- add more mayo. If the color is pale yellow- add more mustard.
This is like the only thing I cook without a real recipe with real measurements. But it is sooooo good! 

Happy Birthday to my honey bear! (Even though he doesnt read this) 

He sure was cute! And still is! 





 


No comments: