Saturday, January 9, 2010

Crockpotting some more...

Yesterday, I tried Ashley Todd's red beans and rice recipe that you can fine here. It was a great recipe...There is alot of prep to it and I couldnt find barley leaves. Plus I didnt use ham, I used hamburger meat. I just dont like beans really. GT liked it alot, however, I just picked out the sausage. If you are a red beans and rice fan...Try It! I am sure you will like it!


Awhile back, I saw this chick on Good Morning America who cooked in her crock pot everyday for a year! It wasnt until this week I found her blog. She has many many crock pot recipes and I cant wait to try alot of them! Right now, I have taco soup in the crock pot! It is from her blog, but I will still post it here:


Taco Soup in Crock Pot


Ingredients:


2 cans of kindey beans
2 cans of pinto beans
2 cans of corn
1 large can of diced tomatoes 
1 can tomatoes and chiles (Rotel)
1 packet taco seasoning 
1 packet ranch dressing mix 
1 lb browned ground turkey or hamburger (optional.)
shredded cheese and sour cream for embellishment

The Directions:
  • brown meat if you are going to use it
  • drain fat and add meat to crockpot
  • sprinkle seasoning packets on top of meat
  • drain and rinse the beans and add
  • add the ENTIRE contents of the corn and tomato cans
  • stir

Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5.  the longer you cook soup, the better, so if you have the time, opt for cooking on low. Stir well, and serve with a handful of shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream. When my mom makes hers (not in the crock pot) she chops an onion and bell pepper. I didnt want to do the extra work. Also, I might had some water in a little bit to make it a little more "soupy". Currently, it smells delicious. 

I used a crock pot liner for the first time! I was a little disappointed how much I still had to clean the pot, but maybe it was just because of the red beans. I will let you know how much I had to clean when the soup is done.

I will continue crock pot cooking or normal cooking and share recipes which most I will get from the blog I shared above. I will tell you how it worked for me. Usually, I do a crock pot meal once or twice a week. Then, a hamburger helper (or tuna helper, yes, we like it) once a week, then frozen pizza once a week. I am really enjoying new recipes. Things I hope to cook in the crock pot soon: Lasagna, Meatballs, Meatloaf (for GT, not me) and possibly some chili. 

1 comment:

TheFancyFritter said...

Oh wow! Thanks for sharing this Lydia! I used to always use my crock pot & this has inspired me to get it back out! It is sooo easy!