Sunday, January 3, 2010

What's in a name?

People have asked me why I named our little girl Audrie? And why did I spell it A-U-D-R-I-E?

There is history in our family with the name Audrie. My great grandmother (my dad's grandmother) was named Audrie Powell. She had a great influence on my dad's life. When he was little, she would hold him tight and sing "Jesus Loves Me" with tears running down her face. It is one of my favorites stories he shares in some of his sermons. She also asked him to read a chapter in the Bible a night when he was in the army. He made that promise to her and my dad says she is alot of the reason he is who he is and the reason he became a preacher. Anyway, she was very dear to my dads heart.

When I was looking through some old pictures my Uncle Mickey gave my dad, I noticed on some of the pictures, her name was spelled A-U-D-R-E-Y and some spelled A-U-D-R-I-E. I found out the correct spelling was A-U-D-R-I-E. My middle name is Audrey and my neice Claire's middle name is Audrey. So I thought to make it unique, I would spell it Audrie.

If GT and I have a son, his name will be Allen Eugene. Allen from my maiden name and Eugene from his middle name. If we have a girl...who knows...right now, I kind like the name Beatrice and call her Bea. I think Bea is soooo cute. Its my grandmothers name, well Bertha Beatrice. I dont think I want to pass on Bertha. GT isnt too crazy about Beatrice, but I will work on it! :)

1 comment:

Dean Family said...

A great friend of mine is named Beatrice and we call her Bea...she's absolutely beautiful. Love it.