Sunday, January 10, 2010

HELP! Im trying to make gravy!

I need HELP! My husband loves some gravy. Any kind. Me, not so much. But while I am on my new cooking kick, I wanted to try some gravy with biscuits for my honey bear.

Also, let me say, I have just discovered the Pioneer Woman blog...WHERE HAVE I BEEN? It is fabulous. So, she really inspired the gravy thing. I used her instructions on how to make gravy, you can find them here.

I went to the grocery store, got me some Jimmy Dean regular sausage. She used Jimmy Dean HOT in her pictures. I am not too firmilar with sausage, but I dont really like "hot" anything, so I got regular. This morning went to cooking my sausage. Cut it in slices. Put it in a pan. Followed package instructions. And no grease... I couldnt make the gravy because the sausage made very very little grease.

What did I do wrong? These are things I can think of:

1) I used a non-stick skillet. It looks like she used a iron one. ???? Mine is a pretty large skillet to...and her seemed to be smaller.
2) the kind of sausage. I cant imagine that this mattered, but like I said, not too familiar with sausage, so it is possible. Although, I used regular ole' sausage, no turkey sausage, no low fat...
3) How I cooked mine. Maybe had it too hot because the sausage kind of burnt a little. But there was never alot of grease at any time.

I am not giving up! I will make my man some biscuits and gravy! Please help this 25 year old that has no idea what she is doing!

Once I master gravy...I will attempt homemade biscuits...I know, brave, right?

1 comment:

sweetiepie said...

You could have added a little oil to the sausage in the pan after it was cooked and then proceeded with the recipe.