Friday, January 22, 2010

Cooking, Chicken Pot Pie and Peach Cobbler

When GT and I first got married, I hardly ever cooked. We were in a small apartment and it wasnt worth it to me. Then when we moved into our house, I cooked more but not much since I worked and was exhausted. Plus, I got pregnant the month after we moved in so...yeah...we ate alot of frozen meals and fast food. Needless to say, I cook alot more now.  1. Because I stay at home so we need to save money any way we can, 2. It is like my hobby now, 3. I love cooking, 4. I love food, 5. I love food. Seriously.

 The other day before I went grocery shopping, I decided to look at some of my cook books and try some new recipes. I stumbled upon the "ABS" cook book that was given to GT and I when we got married. It has some good recipes! I got sooooo excited! Some of them I have been looking for for awhile and they are in this book! Man, I have been missing out. So last night I made Mrs. Karan Eddy's Chicken Pot Pie and my mom's Peach Cobbler Recipe.

Before I give you the Pot Pie recipe, I thought I might shared something I was just enlighted with. How to correclty dice an onion. I use to cut my onion in chunks then put them in my little food processor. Not anymore! And now I am excited about cutting an onion???? I am sure my mom thinks, who is this, and what did you do with my daughter?????




I bought this cool cutting knife. It's called a Santoku knife. I got it for like 5 dollars! I learned how to chop an onion from Pioneer Woman, you can learn too, just click here. I did cut my finger. It is hard to figure out how to do things left handed. But good thing, I burnt the first onions I was sautéing, so I got another go at it, and didnt cut my finger the second time!




Chicken Pot Pie
From: Karan Eddy

Ingredients:

  • 1 Box of Pillsbury Pie Crust (found in the refrigerated section next to the biscuits)
  • 1/3 cup of flour
  • 1/3 cup (2/3 stick) of butter
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 3 chicken breast, boiled and chopped
  • 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1 can of Veg-All

Directions:

  • Pre-Heat oven to 425
  • Take pie crust out and let it sit to become room temperature
  • Lay crust in bottom of pie pan
  • Melter butter in a skillet (dont get it too hot like I did, I burnt the first batch of onions!)
  • Add onions and saute´ until wilted
  • Add flour, stir, let cook for about a minute or two
  • Add broth and milk gradually while stirring with a whisk
  • Add Veg-All and chicken
  • Continue stirring and let it cook until it is pretty thick
  • Pour filling into pie crust
  • Place 2nd crust on top and fold edges under
  • Crimp edges with the side of your thumb
  • Cut 5 slits in top of crust
  • Bake for 30 minutes
This was the best chicken pot pie I have ever tasted! It was soooooo good! And pretty easy to make. I dont like vegetalbes for the most part, but I didnt mind them at all in this!

Things I did wrong: As I have mentioned before, I burnt the first set of onions, because I still have not learned the hotter does not mean the better or faster. I am learning. Also, I dont own a pie pan. So I used a round pan. When I placed the top crust on, I let it hang off, I should have cut it to make it fit. The sides burnt, but we just peeled it off.

Peach Cobbler (or any other fruit you would like)
From: My Mama! Leslie Allen

Ingredients:
2 cups of Sugar
2 cups of SELF-RISING flour...must be self-rising or it wont work, believe me, I have tried!
2 cups of milk
1 large can of sliced peaches (or whatever fruit you prefer)
1 stick of butter

Directions:
  • Melt stick of butter in pan (I just pop it in the microwave for a minute or so)
  • Mix flour, sugar and milk in a mixing bowl
  • Pour mix on top of butter
  • Dump in can of peaches
  • I arrange the peaches to make them evenly distributed
  • Put in the oven
  • Cook on 350 for 45 minutes
I could eat this for every meal. Seriously. It is so bad for you, but so tasty! And EASY EASY EASY!


No comments: