Thursday, January 21, 2010

Breakfast for Dinner

I had some buttermilk in the fridge that was going bad and these days I dont like to waste...so I decided to try Paula Dean's homemade biscuits recipe! 


Homemade Biscuits:

Ingredients:
2 cups self-rising flour
2 teaspoons of sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2/3 cup of buttermilk

Directions:
  • Mix flour and sugar in a mixing bowl
  • Paula's directions is to take two knifes and work shortening into mixture...I used my Kitchen-Aid mixer with the paddle mixer
  • Pour in buttermilk while mixing
  • Roll dough 1/2 thick onto a floured board
  • Use a biscuit cutter (or the top of a cup, which is what I used) 
  • Place biscuits on a greased pan
  • Cook at 450 for about 12 to 15 minutes
These were great! Kinda flatter than I had wanted, but I didnt follow the 1/2 inch rule :) 

And I finally made real sausage gravy! I LOVE the iron skillet. If you dont own one, you need to. For real. 

2 comments:

Kristen T said...

Sounds yummy! I do need to pull out our iron skillet. I'm not sure if we have ever used it. Oh, and I made your Holy Cow Cake! It was awesome!!!! I want to eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Lydia & GT said...

I am so glad you made it! I know, I think I ate half of one by myself last week! I have vowed to only make it for special occasions or when guest come over, because I will eat the whole thing!