Saturday, January 16, 2010

Holy Burnt Cow

GT bought me an iron skillet for a late Christmas present. If you read in my previous posts, I was attempting gravy (sausage gravy) and was not successful. SO, from my lovely facebook friends, I discovered it was probably my pan. When GT and I picked up his brother from the airport, his grandparents wanted to take us to eat at Cracker Barrell. I did a little looking around and saw an iron skillet for just 20.00...and the best part is...it is already seasoned!

Here she is in all her beauty:





Then I decided, what should I cook for my first meal in the iron skillet? My husbands favorite...chicken fried steak. I run to Brookshires and pick up all the things needed for it, including some potatoes, green beans, and the meat of course. I did have to ask the meat guy, what kind of meat I used for such a thing. I had already made these homemade rolls the night before. They were my favorite part.




So, I get my new lovely skillet, pour a little oil in the pan...then I am waiting for it to heat up. ***Sidenote, Let me tell you how I cook. I am quite impatient. I like to turn the heat up as high as it can go, because in my mind, it will cook faster...however, this is not always the case.*****
Of course, I turn the heat like on an 8, where the highest is 10. The recipe I was going off of, said the grease should be 360 degrees....well, how in the world do I know when its 360 degrees?

As you can guess, my grease was too hot. And this happened:



I was scared to do the next three until GT got home. When he got home from work we finished the other 3, with a smokey house. I got lucky since there were only 3 of us eating! Then I attempted gravy with my left over grease. It was kind of black due to the burning. Luckily, I had picked up a gravy mix package just in case.

Last night we got to all go to Texas Roadhouse! I was grateful for a little cooking break! :)

Then tonight...I made spaghetti in the crock pot for 8 people! This is what I did: 3 lbs frozen hamburger meat, 2 packages of McCormick spaghetti mix, 2 cans tomato paste, 2 tsp oil. 2 1/2 cups of water. 6 hours on high. It was pretty delicious. Mamaw made a beautiful spinach salad (which I didnt eat-not too crazy about salads or spinach), and I made this bread. Oh my...this bread is where it's at!  Can you tell, I love bread? I sure do!

For my guests last night and tonight I made a "Holy Cow Cake". Holy Cow, it's delicious.

Holy Cow Cake


Ingredients:

Cake-
1 box of Devils Food Cake mix (or german chocolate depending on preference)- make sure you get/have ingredients needed to make the cake
1 can condensed milk
1 jar of carmel topping (can be found by the ice cream cones)

Icing-
1 block of cream cheese (optional)
1 container of cool whip
2 smashed up butterfingers or heath bar ( I used butterfingers)

Directions:

  • Follow directions on back of box to cook cake. Once cake is cooled poke holes in cake with a fork.
  • Pour condensed milk and carmel topping over cake.
  • Chill in refrigerator for at-least an hour.
  • Mix cream cheese and cool whip (with hand blender). If you arent a cream cheese fan you can just use cool whip as topping.
  • Crumble up butterfinger or heath bar. 
  • Sprinkle on top.
  • Eat. Say, "Holy Cow"
  • Store cake in refrigerator. 

Yummmmmmmyyyy.

No comments: