Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Making Delicious Cornebread

I love corn bread! I wasnt until a few months ago I discovered this. I knew I loved bread, but I didnt love cornbread to much. Until I met Mr. Jiffy. Jiffy cornbread is so sweet and delicious and CHEAP! I love sweet food and I love bread, but them together and I am happy.

I keep trying to think of things to cook in my iron skillet. So last night, of course I thought of corn bread. Audrie isnt feeling well (which means she wants to be held constantly), so I asked GT to cook some Jambalaya. Audrie ended up falling asleep while he was cooking, so I decided to venture into the land of corn bread.

My iron skillet still scares me a bit. Possibly because you have to cook with grease and my mom didnt cook with grease much. Or because I burnt my first chicken fried steak in it. Or because the handle gets hot and that scares me that I am going to accidently grab it. But all in all, I think its because I am not used to it. My mom never cooked with one and so its new to me.

I "googled" how to make Jiffy corn bread in an iron skillet. I got a lot of different ideas. I put some of them together and made my own...This is how it went down:

Pre-Heat Oven to 400
Melt a stick of butter in your skillet on the stove. (Low Heat)
Mix together Jiffy Mix ( I did two packages, bc my skillet is medium size)
Mix in 2 eggs
Mix in 1 cup of Buttermilk (I had buttermilk left over and didnt want to waste it, you can use regular milk, but this is more milk than the recipe on the box calls for)
Let the mix sit until butter is melted
Once butter is melted, pour mix in
Put skillet in the oven
Cook for 25 to 30 minutes

This was soooooo stinking good! I was like forget the Jambalaya, Im having cornbread for dinner! It was  a little crispy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside. Delicious. I mean I am sure it has quite the calories, but who cares.

No comments: