Wednesday, March 10, 2010

C-Sections

I debated whether or not to blog about this. I know it can get pretty heated and alot of women have had c-sections. So, I preface this note by saying my frustration is not with women who have had or are going to have a C-Section, my frustration is with the health system, hospitals and doctors. Recently, C-Sections studies have been on the news, so I have decided to blog my opinions. Please do not get offended.

1. Induced labor. The rate of women being induced has double in the past 10 years. I was actually induced myself. I am not against "induction" and I realize in some cases, including mine, it is necessary. It is crucial and life-saving in some instances. However, many labors lead to C-Sections because of induction. A woman will be induced and have no progression and they will end up preforming a C-Section, or a woman will be induced and her heart rate and the babies will increase due to the amount of pitocin and a emergency c-section will have to be performed.  10 years ago, a doctor would only order induction at 42 weeks if there were no extenuating circumstances prior. Again, I know there are times when induction and c-section are life-saving and the "best" thing.

2. Legality. Many doctor's perform c-sections due to fear of being sued. A doctor's responsibility is to deliver a healthy baby while keeping a healthy mama through the process. If a doctor does not do that, it is possible they will be sued for mal-practice. So, their solution is to do c-sections because that is the ultimate thing that they can do to fulfill their duties and also a c-section can be more controlled since it is surgery other than labor which is unknown.

3. Convenience. It is convenient for a doctor to perform a c-section that might take a total of 1 hour, where a woman can be in labor for 12 or more. Most c-sections are scheduled during the week and before 5 o'clock. Hmmm. Isnt that interesting? Even with I gave birth, i didnt have a c-section but my doctor asked me to wait to push until she got done see patients. So when she got done seeing patients I began pushing, but I starting pushing too early, because then she wanted to get home to her family. So I ended up pushing for 2 1/2 hours, and I really didnt need to. If she would have let me be in labor for a little longer then I wouldnt have had to push so long, or at least thats what I like to think.

4. C-Section Education. Women are not taught the complications that can arise from a c-section. Yeah a doctor or nurse comes in and quickly tells you what could happen or you might sign some paperwork that you dont even read. You are there to have a baby, you are probably exhausted, probably soooo excited, probably just ready to get the baby out. So why dont the doctors or classes teach c-section early on. Tell women what could happen and how to prevent these things.

I dont know why I feel so passionate about this, but I do. I just feel women should be educated on everything dealing with labor, child-birth and pregnancy. I feel our culture has down played the whole process and tried to make it convenient, scheduled and easy. I know I am different then most women, but I want to go into labor by myself. I was to feel what its like. I still really want to try it natural.

On the news, they told a story of a woman who had a c-section and didnt walk for 3 days after. She was in the hospital and they didnt make her get up and walk or anything. So she ended up having a blood clot and dying. That child will NEVER know his mother. Then the news anchor said this is still very rare, out of 500,000 births in California last year only 95 women died. Only 95? That seems like a lot to me. That means 95 children will never know their mother and might not ever have a mother. I understand they might not have all been preventable, but the story they shared was preventable. And could have been prevented by the woman receiving proper education about the process. She could have been told she needed to walk around 24 hours after the c-section, or she could have asked for those stockings they put on your legs to prevent blood clots.

Anyway, that is my venting. I was born by a c-section. I was breach. And I turned out wonderful, haha, just kidding. So, its not that I am completely against them being performed at all...i believe that are performed many times when it isnt necessary and that women need more pregnancy/labor education. Done.

1 comment:

Dean Family said...

Totally agree with everything you just said. I had Emma vaginally, but the doctors or nurses never told me to walk around or get out of bed, so it made my recovery alot harder than it had to be. I also pushed for an hour and a half because it was getting close to 5pm :(