Monday, March 29, 2010

Shalom Ya'll

There was a time in my life when I was fascinated with the Jewish religion. Not like it is now, but how it was in the day of Jesus. Because Jesus was Jewish. And I wanted to know what that meant. I wanted to know how being a Jew affected his teachings. I wanted to know who He was talking to at that time period. I still like to learn about it, but have little time to do so...Anyway, in my studies back in the day, I was entriguied by the word "Shalom". Many of us know this to mean peace. My parents went to Israel once and brought back a plaque that said, "Shalom Ya'll". Ha. But Shalom means much more than peace.

Definition of Shalom: Completeness, wholeness, health, peace, welfare, safety soundness, tranquility, prosperity, perfectness, fullness, rest, harmony, the absence of agitation or discord.

A few years ago, I was going through a though situation in college and my dad called me to give me some words of encourgament. Something he told me I will never forget...he told me that Jesus prays for me. I was like what??? know He doesnt! If He does who does He pray to? Himself? That makes no sense.

It was not until years later than I realized, He intercedes for us. He pleas for us. He prays for us.

"Who then will condemn us? No one—for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us." Romans 8:34

He is praying for His children to have Shalom. To be complete, at peace, tranquil, have rest, be fulfilled...one of my favorites...to have wholeness. 

I am a long way from this, thank you Jesus that you are pleading on my behalf to have this wholeness. I would never achieve it on my own accord. I am so grateful, I dont have to do anything own my own. I would miserably fail as I often do when I attempt to do things without Christ.

No comments: