Monday, March 22, 2010

Count Your Blessings

I was having a pity party the other day. One of those, Why me, God? Why us? Why our family? Most of it dealing with our finances. It is a odd thing when other people are blessed...and you think why couldnt that have been us? I was not angry with God, just asking why. I know we needed the lesson when GT was laid off, but isnt that lesson learned? so What do we need to learn now?

Then, I was reading a book on parenting, and the author was telling the story of the prodigal son. If you havent heard it, short recap--the youngest son asked his father for his inheritance early. He took it, left his father's house, and sowed his wild oats. He lost all his money and then ended up eating pig slop...so he went back to his father's house. His father was waiting for him with open arms, put a ring on him and new robe, killed a fatten calf and threw a big party. Usually the conviction for me in this story is how we run away from God and He is always there waiting for us to come back. But not this time...

The story goes on to tell that the older brother comes to his father and whines...he basically asks, why does he get this when he wasted all your money while I have been here being a "good" son and working for you. This is the fathers response, "'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' " To read the whole story in the Bible look up Luke 15:11-32

Man, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Everything I have is from God, it is all God's. It all belongs to Him. And I have no idea what God is doing in other people's lives or why He is blessing them. I should rejoice in their blessing and be content and grateful for what I have been given. We have never ever starved or even come close. Audrie has always had more than enough. So, then this hymn pops in my head, "Count your blessings, name them one by one, count your blessings, see what God has done, Count your blessings, name them one by one, count your many blessings see what God has done."

Now every time I want to ask why or want to have my pity party. I count my blessings.

1. My husband. I am sooooooo blessed to have a husband who doesnt settle for mediocre. He always wants to be a better man, husband and father. He loves me unconditionally. He challenges me and gives me strength. He makes me laugh and smile. He understands how important it is to me to stay home with our child and future children--he supports it 100%.
2. A little girl.  Audrie is more than I could ever have imagined. She is so happy and silly. She teaches me more about myself and priorities then I think i can ever teach her. She gives me so much joy.
3. My parents. My parents dedicated their lives to the Lord which included their marriage and raising their children. They have never been fake. They taught us truth, values, convictions and the love of God. I can never thank my parents enough for what they have given me and taught me.
4. My family. This includes my brothers, all my in-laws , nieces and nephew (and one on the way). I am blessed to have family who cares about us, prays for us and continues to show us support and love. When we were running low on finances, family was there. When I needed advice and someone to talk to, my family was there.
5. Finances. We have never missed a mortgage payment. We have never missed paying a major bill. God has always provided a way.
6. Friends. There are friends who have known me the majority of my life and still love me. And that says alot. I havent always been the best of friend or made the best of decisions and my friends were  and are still there for me. Some just know the surface but they are still friends. I am grateful for everyone of them.

That is barely even the surface of the blessings that God has given me and my family. Those are just a few, I figure this posts is getting pretty long.

"In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

1 comment:

Kristen T said...

I have been feeling the exact same way. We have had a lot going on this past year including a layoff and now a baby and other unexpected medical bills. It has always been a struggle for me..always wanting more and comparing our finances with our friends and other people our age. God has always provided for us and we have never been in any financial crisis. Thank the Lord. I am just selfish and have to constantly be thanking the Lord for what He has done for us.